Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Hawaii--part two: Maui

I've actually sat down to do this many times but something always came up. However, I want to finish this up so I can also post some of December as well. (I know, I'm waaaay behind).

Maui was amazing. Perfect!
This was the view from our balcony. I wish I had taken a picture of the view from our balcony in Waikiki, because it was the complete opposite. It was a view of another huge hotel that was probably 10 feet away. I didn't know places like this were real.

We mostly spent our days alternating between the pools
and the beach S and I both snorkled, but not usually together. We'd take turns watching the kids and would go out with S's brother and/or sister-in-law. We saw some great fish--I wanted to see a turtle, but no luck--B saw one, though.Some fun things we got to do were going to a luau (T and A learning to dance the hula)
and whale watching. We were able to see tons and learn tons about Humpback Whales. The captain of the boat knew soo much and talked almost the whole time we were out. It was very interesting.I didn't get any pictures of them jumping out of the water (grumble), but we saw it. Again, it seemed a little unreal to me.

Sunday we went to Church with S's cousin K and her family. Soo soo nice. Also, it was funny--there were probably over 50 visitors and that is quite common.They don't usually were lais to church--It was ward conference and her husband is the bishop. I could tell you all a funny story about S wearing a Hawaiian Shirt to church on our honeymoon and getting seriously chastized, but he might not want that on here:)

After church we took family pictures and drove around the island.
S also got to celebrate his birthday in Maui--Lucky! (Only he got no presents--The trip was his present). His cousin K and family joined us for swimming and also brought a yummy, homemade birthday cake (Daughter H was the chef). It was so sweet. They also brought a bag of gifts for each family. We were spoiled. For dinner S picked Bubba Gump Shrimp Co., had a tasty dinner, quoted many lines from the movie (Forrest Gump--in case you haven't seen the movie 23 times), and answered trivia from the menu.Also, this was not the only time Ms. A didn't make it through dinner--poor thing. We didn't stop to take naps and she would be exhausted by dinner and fall asleep. I wasn't being a super good mom, but I hated the thought of spending the afternoon inside (and actaully, she would have hated it as well.) Also, this resturant is right on the water and there was a big puffer fish my nephew was throwing french fries to--that's their normal diet, I think.

Our last day, after checking out, we went to the aquarium. Again--excellent. The kids (and adults) loved seeing all the marine life and the workers were full of interesting bits of information.
After the Aquarium we waved good-bye to the sun and warmth and flew home, happy and very tired. Taylor is the only one that didn't sleep on the plane ride. She was busy finishing her homework. (Again, I know I'm a slacker mom).
Good-bye Hawaii! We love you!

4 comments:

GustoBones said...

Oh, looks so warm and beautiful!!! It makes me want to go right now!! That pirate ship looks familiar, did you guys stay at the Westin? It looks like everything was so fun. Turning a little green here!:)

Jessica said...

Beautiful pictures, everyone looked like they had so much fun, I am so jealous.

s g said...

love your new banner pic at the top! what a dreamy vacation, I am so glad you guys were able to go and that you had an ocean view in Maui, isn't it the best? what a great memory for you all!

Babydoll said...

You are not a slacker mom. Anyone would do the same on a vacation to Maui. It is so beautiful there. Again, I'm jealous!