Sunday, October 12, 2008

Haircuts, Birds and Belly Dancing

The major trauma for the week was A taking the kitchen sheers to Ms. M's hair. I was trying to reorganize the freezer and was in the garage. By the time I came back in A had cut a good part of the top of M's hair off (at least part of the left side). I was soooo sad. I remember that I and my two sisters also cut our hair at one time or another, but I was hoping to avoid that. Sidnee, who cuts my hair and my girls hair, was sweet enough to let me bring M over ASAP, but there wasn't much we could do. Alas, no pony tails or curls for a bit.
Second, on Saturday we went to Birdfest up in Ridgefield, WA. There is the Ridgefield National Wildlife Refuge up there, and Saturday and Sunday was the big Birdfest. We've never actually been there before, but it was kind of fun. In college I had to take a nature appreciation class for my major and one of the assignments was to find and identify 50 birds. I spend many a Saturday with my girlfriend and my binoculars. However, ever since then I've paid much more attention to birds. This weekend everything was free and they even provided a little bus we could take that took us through the refuge. There was also two "tour guides" on the bus explaining about the refuge and pointing out birds and wildlife. These are Cackling Geese and are smaller than Canadian Geese. I guess it's too early in the season for the Canadian Geese. The girls played bird bingo and had fun crossing out the birds we found and even got a prize. S and M were a little bored(okay, really bored), but T, A and myself had a great time.

Here we are on the bus, looking for birds and wildlife--We saw a family of raccoons that were adorable, but mostly we saw lots and lots of birds. Ask S what the difference is between Great Blue Herons and Sandhill Cranes. He's now a bird pro. There were many other activities around town, but S (and the girls) were done after the refuge.

Lastly, Saturday night was a date night. S took me to a restaurant we went to when we were dating. It is a Moroccan Restaurant called Marrakesh. You sit on little cushions/tuffets and eat the dinner with your hands. It's pretty fun. You get a five course dinner--soup, salad, appetizer/pastry thing, main dish, and dessert. The dessert is fruit salad--chocolate would have been better, but we had a great time. They also have a belly dancer that goes around providing entertainment. Somehow S and I got pulled up to belly dance. I actually took a belly dancing class in college, but wasn't very good. We had fun and would recommend the restaurant to anyone.

7 comments:

GustoBones said...

You guys always do such fun things on your saturdays. I need to work on that. Mostly we just clean! Looks like such a fun restaurant! S and I will have to try it out sometime!

Silly Teacher said...

I think she looks like a pixie, a nymph, and gamine if you will. Nice save..it does look cute. And I would love to go to that moraccan restaurant..fun!

Babydoll said...

So much fun. I had a colleague at work that competed in belly dancing. So she howed us her stuff once. Very fun!

Jessica said...

At least Stuart was a sport for going with, Jared and I both grew up right next to the refuge, Jared at one end and me at the other and we both used to spend a lot of time there as kids, Stuart may have been bored but it is a good experience for the kids, to know that nature outside of our little subdivisions does exist.

Your date night looks like so much fun. Jared would have just died if it were us to get picked. It is no corn maze but I am glad you guys got a nice date night to yourself.

And don't fret on miss M's hair it is actually quite cute.

TNS MOM said...

Sorry we missed going to that restuarant with you guys. It wasn't for lack of trying. It will just be a good reason to come visit some day.

brittany said...

i love that you got pulled up to belly dance! that is hilarious.

lauriemcmurt said...

Oh my heck Jen! Poor little Madilyn! It's a good thing Tyson came after Megan because we could just buzz his head if that ever happened! Yikes! Love the belly dancing picture. Too funny! BTW, I have look for our Windows office CD and have yet to find it. I'll get Dan on it. Sorry we are incredible slackers. Although, thanks for the birthday card and borders card! I love Borders. I can't wait to spend it, maybe on Sleeping Beauty!