Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Gentian Violet pictures (But no Bumbo)

I know I have been so bad about posting. My excuss is I am cameraless at the moment and I love posting pictures. However, on the bright side, I think I found a replacement camera at Costco, so soon I'll be back at it. What I'd really like to post is a cute picture of my little Madelyn sitting in her new Bumbo seat (thank you Karen Hill!) Oh my goodness, I love this thing. If you have a baby between 3 months and 14 months (that's what the box says) you NEED this. Alyson and Taylor also LOVE this and I have to keep telling them NOT to sit in it. (grumble)

However, since I have no cute picture of the Bumbo seat and Ms. Maddy, What I do have is pictures of Madelyn with her dark purple mouth. Shortly after she was born, Madelyn developed Thrush, which is a yeast infection (I think) babies sometimes get in their mouths. It is this white, gucky stuff on their cheeks and tongue. (There is probably a more scientific term, but you get the idea). I took Madelyn to the doctor and she put us on Niostatin. For two weeks we had to use a Q-tip and swab the inside of her mouth four times a day with this stuff. (plus I got to swab my nipples four times a day--probably more info than you wanted to know, but it was mostly awful.) This did NOTHING. We went back to the doctor and got plan B--Gentian Violet. It was soo funny. The doctor starts by saying when I buy this DO NOT get alarmed at the scull and cross bones on the label. (I wish I had a picture for you). Yes, she said, it is toxic if swallowed, but your baby will not be swallowing it. (Are you sure about that?) I just had to use a Q-tip and swab her mouth once a day for three days (and yes, I get to swab my nipples again, too--Love it!). So I'm thinking, Why didn't we start with this, it's so much easier. The doctor when on to explain it will turn everything dark purple and it does not come out. Also, the last piece of advice was not to take my baby out in public because people will freak out. It's now a little clearer as to why this is plan B. However, the scull and cross bones should have tipped me off.
So, off to the store I go, bought the Gentian Violet (scull and cross bones and all) and gave it to
Madelyn. Stuart thought she looked like a Black Mambo snake and was ready to sue the doctor when Madelyn died from poisioning. The damange to her clothes and mine was kept to a minimum, but she wore the same outfit two out of the three days, and could only use one blanket. However, it was worth it. The Gentian Violet worked like a charm. It took a day or so for the purple to wear off, but the Thrush was gone.
Gone, that is, until two weeks later I noticed some white spots on Madelyn's lip again. Sooo, we go three more days with purple mouth and nipples (you're jealous, huh?)
I am hoping the second time does the trick. I guess I should be grateful, though, because Thrush is pretty minor on the list of diseases/sicknesses Maddy could have. And I'm pretty sure purple bras are in fashion.

4 comments:

brittany said...

Jen I love this post. I am laughing out loud. Maddy is adorable purple lips and all. You are so brave to use the violet stuff with skulls and crossbones. I would be terrified.

s g said...

I have heard of this stuff and that it is the only thing that works...so hilarious, I hope it clears up soon! Our bodies take a serious hit between labor and delivery oh and nursing!!

GustoBones said...

Gentian Violet should be first on the list I swear. I struggled with thrush for months!! Finally, a lactaction consultant told me about GV. Nystatin did nothing and I was actually told that it only works on about 50% of yeast cases. HMM, not great odds. I am a fan of GV. Hope it clears up again quickly!!

Rebecca said...

What a great story. But poor Maddy.