Thursday, April 24, 2008

Bon Appetit

Today I was feeding Madelyn her baby food when a neighbor stopped by. She came in the kitchen and we talked a bit. I left Madelyn sitting in her bumbo seat on the counter to walk my friend to the door. (Don't lecture me on how unsafe that is--I'm okay with it). I thought I had made sure everything was out of reach , but apparently not. I came back to find that she had somehow gotten into the goldfish food and was downing it by the fistful, not to mention she was covered in those multi-colored flakes--nice! I thought about calling poison control, but figured it was about the same as kids eating dog food. Plus, all the ingredients looked edible, though I'm not sure about the "fish meal" or "shrimp meal". No allergic reactions so far. Who would have thought ground brown rice would be the second ingredient. Dried yeast the third. Taylor and Alyson never ate anything weird. How about you? Have your kids tried something a little "uncommon"?

11 comments:

ellen said...

our 2 year old loves to go to houses with pets and eat the food out of the shiney bowls! yummy! fish food...you should get her in a baby swim class and see if she grows some fins:) good that you are turning her on to seafood early. it is healthy! and don't tell anyone but the baby of our house is occasionally left unattended...so goes the life of a mother of more than 2 kids!

Jessica said...

I just miss you. The funny thing about this story to me is that I can picture exactly how you would tell this story, your facial expressions and of course your hand gestures.

This cracks me up. Sophia has a facsination with our dogs food but I think she primarily likes to throw it, I am not sure she has eaten any of it. Or maybe she has and thinks it is disgusting which is why she throws it. I can only feed the dog when Sophia is in her high chair.

GustoBones said...

J got into a laxative once. I caught him chewing it and fished most of it out of his mouth. That is probably the closest we've come to something going in my kids mouth that doesn't belong there.(If you don't count toys, keys, remote controls that sort of thing)

s g said...

lewis has had his fair share of tums...and dirt with miracle grow in it...but luckily no reactions..crazy!! that is so funny she was eating fish food..;)

eric and girls said...

Hey Jen it's Sandy King. I found your blog through Jessica K. I just want you to know that Taylin had so much fun having Miss Jennifer for a teacher yesterday. She has talked about you non stop and wants to see you again. Hailey never put things in her mouth as a baby, but Taylin was our little baby vacuumm. What didn't she eat?

TNS MOM said...

Gross! LOL that will be a good story for her. Sadie ate arnica once, but that's it.

j and s said...

Sandy--how fun to here from you! Taylin is such a sweet girl. I had so much fun being "Ms. Carolyn" for the day. Do you have a blog? I'd love to check it out.--Jen

eric and girls said...

Hey Jen it's Sandy. My blog address is www.ericandgirls.blogspot.com

brittany said...

that is so funny! i am glad she is still alive, even after eating the fish food.

Rebecca said...

Ike put just about anything into his mouth up til about age 2. I distinctly remember him getting into the cat food on your mother's back porch . . .

Jessica said...

What is weird that we can take you out to eat on Thursday? I can't wait to see you it has seriously been years...blasted holidays, everytime I am in town you are out of town for the same reason.

So I am coming into town on July 23rd for the weekend and I have no plans the 24th, my parents will be working, do you want to get together for lunch then?